Tuesday 19 April 2011

Balance Health and Harmony - a visit to Annette


I visited my Masseuse Annette for a much needed knead the other day and wanted to include her as part of our blog.

We forget the power of laying hands, as we get caught up in the science of it all.  I pay special attention to how a doctor touches patients.  I've seen Dad pick up a 70 year old man's necrotic foot with a gesture similar to if he was picking up a baby's foot.  I've seen Peter simply massaging a patient's belly because they had abdominal pains, no doubt the intelligence of his hands was listening and learning much more as well.  It is these moments that strike me as a moment where healing happens.  Gloves off of course.  Best practice tells us to not only to glove ourselves when we touch a patient but also wash our hands after the gloves have been removed!

I want to remind us all of the humble healing touch of the hand as one of the most powerful gestures we have available to all of us.  Be it just a reassuring hand on the arm to say you'll feel much better in a week, or a light pat on the back on the way out to remind the patient to come back for review in a month; these are the gestures that build trust and confidence between two people and make a healing relationship.

Annette has in the past run workshops for our group and since she was introduced to me by Dad I've continued to go to her for that healing touch.  As a relatively healthy person I don't need to see doctors ever - except for my daily professional life, but that doesn't mean I don't need my fair share of healing and restoration.  It's a bit of a buzzword these days "preventative healthcare" but basically it means listening to yourself and giving yourself a little bit of TLC before you reach the point of no return.

I'm blogging about this just to let all my staff  know that Annette is a tried and trusted Massage therapist that I would recommend to anyone and personally use myself.  She is based in Woonona and is just a phone call away.

Annette Robertson
Balance Health and Harmony 
4283 3449


No comments:

Post a Comment